Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Bracket Madness


  As you can see from my lack of posts, I have been pretty busy lately with all sorts of different things. (I’m on Twitter now! @barryleonardjr) I’ve had many opinions on different sports topics in the past month. I just haven’t had time to write them down.  That doesn’t mean there hasn’t been anything going on in the world of sports. In fact, this is one of the busiest sports times of the years.


What better topic to discuss than March Madness? This is the time of year where everyone, including myself, becomes an “expert” on college hoops. We all fill out our office brackets in hopes of winning the grand prize- bragging rights for a year (I wouldn’t dare suggest that we would get some sort of financial gain from it) It’s pretty comical that so many people, who know so little about the sport, get involved in this “national pastime”

No matter what bracket pool you join, you're bound to have the same characters in it: The guy who claims he knows everything about every team, the guy who picks all favorites ,the guy who is convinced his 13 seed sleeper will surprise everyone , and my favorite, the guy who lets his wife pick for him by using mascots or uniform colors. The reality is, no matter what anyone says, luck plays a major part in having a successful bracket.

Don’t get me wrong, I am guilty of entering at least one bracket pool every year for the last ten years or so.  However, I like to think that I do actually put some thought and research into my picks. Sure, I could pick with my heart and say that Syracuse will win it all every year, but I know that is not reality. (Of course I did pick them this year, even without Fab Melo!) I usually end up in the middle of the pack, often getting messed up by listening to the “experts” Jay Bilas and Doug Gotleib on Bracketology.

I am sad to say that I only have eight of this year’s Sweet Sixteen teams in my bracket. I am pretty proud of my Ohio pick though. (I only picked them from the start because they were playing Michigan!) Although my bracket was pretty much finished midway through the second day (thanks Norfolk St. and Lehigh!), I will still watch every game and cheer for my Orange to come through again.

I’m just embarrassed that somewhere out there sits a person with a 90% correct bracket who probably let their dog choose for them.
Oh well, better luck next March.

No comments:

Post a Comment